Shrimp Rack Inhabitants


So far the shrimp species are all crystal and Taiwan bee varieties, with plans to add a few different cherry shrimp colours when funds allow.

Crystal Red Shrimp - Caridina cantonensis sp. 'Red' (CRS)

I have been breeding this colony of crystal red shrimp for over 5 years now, as far as I am aware this line was never introduced to golden or snow whites many years ago in the efforts of rapidly increasing the grading. I have been working on increasing the colouration brightness and thickness through generations of selectively breeding the best and brightest but this has been a slow process with many losses and lessons along the way. Most of the time they were kept in one tank and this meant that unless I sold or gave away the cull shrimp, they were breeding and virtually restarting the process.



Large male Crystal red shrimp (CRS) with thick red but slightly patch white colouration.
The red is generally pretty bright but the whites have been a bit patchy. Now that I have my rack set up I can focus more on selectively breeding.


Taiwan Bee (Blue Bolt) - Caridina cf cantonensis var. 'Blue bolt'


The blue bolts are a recent purchase from a reputable Australian breeder. I have kept Taiwan bees in the past without much luck, but I have learnt a lot since that initial experience and hope to get these breeding to a large enough colony to begin selective breeding.
I started with 7 juveniles and these matured to give me 3 females and 4 males which I am extremely happy about as I have bought 'unsexed' juvenile shrimp in the past to receive all males.
I have had one female produce a pretty sizeable brood and have been able to see up to nine shrimp at a time in the front little section of the tank, so I can assume that there are more hidden amongst the plants.








Comments